Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hot & Classy

Thought for the day:  The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.  [Dudley Moore]

This past weekend, the Atlanta Police Department sponsored a terrific indoor car show with the rather nifty title of Cops and Rodders. 


WOW! Clever title AND a great show!

How about a quick look-see?





The car has become a secular sanctuary for the individual, his shrine to self, his mobile Walden Pond. [Edward McDonagh]

Recognize this vehicle? It's the Bluesmobile. (You know, as in the movie The Blues Brothers?)

Oh, and see anybody you recognize towards the back of the picture? Yup. Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane from The Dukes of Hazzard.














Here's the interior of the Bluesmobile. Check out the old computer and fedora on the seat. (There was also enough trash and scattered cheetos lying around to make you expect John Belushi to pop up any sec, too.)








Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty woman is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  [Albert Einstein]



Now, ya know if Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane were around, the General Lee had to be there, too.

This is the official one that travels all over the country for shows. There's a group called Hazzard Life that sells all kinds of memorabilia from the show and dresses up as the characters. One of the guys works for Ben Jones, and I'm thinking this General Lee actually belongs to Jones.






Autographs of the show's original cast members decorate the trunk lid.

Yee HAAAA!










In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks. [Scott Adams]



Spiffy looking car, isn't it? A Willys, I think, but I could be wrong.






And HEY! Looks who's in the driver's seat! Walter!
(One of Jeff Dunham's puppet characters.)









I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.  [Mitch Hedley]

Doesn't this car just oooooooze luxury? It's unbelievably quiet, too. It drove up right behind me, and I didn't a thing.











Eighty percent of the people in Britain want more money spent on public transport -- in order that other people will travel on the buses so that there is more room for them to drive their cars.  [John Selwyn Gummer]


Can you tell I'm kinda partial to hot rods? (THIS car I could hear!)











A man goes into a parts store and asks the guy behind the counter if he can have a windshield wiper for his VW. The parts man considers for a minute, and then says, "Yeah. That seems like a fair swap."




Now, how cool is this? Not just a hot rod, but a hot rod with a hot rod trailer!




















When buying a used car, punch all the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot.  [Larry Lujack]





A Corvette ... with a little tyke's Corvette in tow.








When a man opens the door of his car for his wife, you can be sure of one thing: either the car is new, or the wife is.  


Whatcha think of this trailer? The folks who drive the vintage Ford pick-up towing it don't have to worry a bit about finding a place to eat alongside the road.










And I, I took the road less traveled by. I was using a GPS system. [Robert Brault]

Definition of GPS? It's a device that allows you to get lost with greater precision. [Me]

This was pretty neat, too. A diarama of an old-fashioned Texaco station. (And my not so old-fashioned hubby.)










A traffic tie-up consists of you -- and people who for some reason won't use public transport. [Robert Brault]

This is an award-winning bike. Reminded me a bit of some of the themed bikes the guys on American Chopper used to build.

With all the chrome, rivets, and neon, it was much too flashy for my taste, but the sentiment behind the specialty build was admirable, and the paint job was amazing.









Here's a closer shot of the gas tank. On top of the tank is a painting of a purple heart.










Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you, and scorn in the one ahead.  [Mac McCleary]




Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da BATMAN!










Okay, enough. Suffice it to say it was a super show, and it also raised a ton of money for the Special Olympics. Win-win. Oh, and a National Guard band called Camouflage played rock and roll music all day. What can I say? It doesn't get much better than that.

                    One last comment: Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

                                Until next time, take care of yourselves. And each other.

25 comments:

  1. I don't know much about cars but I know what's pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No 48 would suit me just fine and dandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Love that saying 'never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly'. Got that from my grandma when I got my license :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I would have loved to have seen that. That T-bird at the gas station was beau-ti-ful. I want one so bad.

    I love Larry Lujack's comment. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're both gearheads Susan. Can't believe a supercharged flathead. I'll bet it's just for show. I believe it would blow up under any real throttle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those quotes! (More than the cars, I admit.) My favorite one is the Albert Einstein quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Cool show!

    And I must say, I was totally surprised at Albert Einstein's quote--I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old cars. I've always wanted a woodie station wagon or a Mercedes 540K special roadster, but I'd "settle" for the gorgeous black, quiet sedan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Dianne I love the quotes. Due to my ability to get lost so easily, I could really relate to the one about the GPS. It has taken me down roads that I never knew existed, will never find again, but thankfully get me where I need to get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had been born a guy I know I would have been a "car guy". Gorgeous rides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome cars!

    And I loved the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat pictures! I loved the quotes, too.

    This one was my favorite:
    "When a man opens the door of his car for his wife, you can be sure of one thing: either the car is new, or the wife is."

    I've been married for 2.5 years and my husband opens my car door for me. I wonder if that's still "new" or if he's being nice? His car's pretty decent, so maybe it's the car after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Great show. Love the Texaco scene. I can almost hear the jingle now (at the risk of dating myself), "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star..."

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah- That's what counts. You don't have to know much about them, as long as you know what you like.

    Janie- It sure was!

    Cro- Good choice! (Better get your wife that Morgan first, though.)

    Kelley- Your grandmother's a smart lady! Thanks for stopping by, and welcome aboard.

    Anne- We went to another smaller show on Sunday, and two T-Birds there looked even better. Hey, keep selling your books, and you can buy yourself one. (or two...)

    Mr. C- I don't deserve the title gearhead, but I have gotten to the point where I always check under the hood of every restored Chevy we see from the mid-'50s to see if the guy had the good sense to upgrade the brake system.

    Dianne- Glad ya liked the quotes. (I figured some of you wouldn't care about the cars, so I had to give you SOMETHING!)

    Linda- Yeah, me too. Doesn't sound at all "Einstein-y", does it?

    Connie- Yeah, I'll just bet you'd "settle" for it! (I have a feeling the Mercedes would cost a lot less, though.)

    Arleen- We don't have GPS. My husband has an uncanny sense of direction, and if I'm by myself and get lost ... er, when I get lost ... I can always find help via amateur radio. Besides, I get flustered enough; I don't need a gadget with a snide voice to keep yammering at me about having to "recalculate"...

    Delores- Hey, so you can be a "car GAL!"

    Chris- Thanks. Glad you liked 'em.

    Shelley- I'll go with "your husband's a nice guy". We've been married almost 44 years, and my fella still holds the door for me, too. (Guess we're just lucky.)

    G. Thomas- The good old days, right? When you drove over the cable and made it go "DING" so the attendant knew he had a customer ... and then he cleaned your windows and checked your oil and tires while the gas was pumping. I don't reckon we'll ever see those days of customer service again.

    Laura- Glad you liked it, kiddo. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoy your posts, Susan! Love all the pics of the vehicles. Especially the Bluesmobile! I’m a hot rod fan, too. Had a chuckle at all the quotes you sprinkled throughout, but my favorites are Albert Einstein (he really was a genius, wasn’t he?) and your definition of a GPS. So true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Intricate Knot- Thanks! I really appreciate you saying that. Glad to hear you're a hot rod fan, too. As for Einstein, yeah, even more than I'd thought!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know as much about cars as Mitch Hedley, in that I know which direction they are coming by a quick look at the headlights...

    That said, however, I know one I like when I see it, and I'd happily kiss anyone driving that Dukes of Hazzard car. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun! I love the quiet luxury car, I'd love to go for a ride in that. Love the Texaco station too, makes me feel nostalgic. And the corvette tyke is classic. :)

    Great posts, love the quotes you included.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Talk about works of art! *drooooool*

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool post! love all the pictures and the quotes :) Hope to check out a car show like this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pearl- A Dukes fan, huh? I think I'd rather have an airborne joy ride in General Lee than a smooch from its driver.

    Julie- Glad ya liked it. Not sure, but I think in order to ride in the back of that quiet luxury car, a mink stole, long gloves, and a glass of bubbly may be required. (Maybe a cigarette in a long holder, too ...)

    Carrie- You betcha.

    Nutschell- Glad you liked it. You should be able to find a car show somewhere near you. (There aren't many places in the world that are immune to car nuts!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Susan .. I know your love of hotrods .. you and hubby must have loved this show! The quote by Einstein is great .. Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty woman is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. [Albert Einstein]

    and then of course .. thankfully my guardian angel was around as I sped about in the early years!!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hilary- We go to a bunch of car shows, but this was my favorite one so far this year. As for the guardian angels, sometimes I think our family has worn out a whole squad of 'em over the years.

    ReplyDelete